Because of His Grace

Because of God's grace we are able to experience His love and truth. This is a place where we can gather to share about what God's grace is doing in our lives!

S.O.A.P. Method

fishlicity
    Admin

S.O.A.P. Method

Post by fishlicity on Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:39 am

I am so excited to be able to share in studying God's Word with you all.  This will be an adventure that will produce so much fruit as we share what God is teaching us!  I look forward to all that God is going to show us!   

It is so important to not only read your Bible, but to interact with the text as well!  The method we will be using to study (and the method that LGG uses) is called the S.O.A.P.  I encourage you to really take the time to do this with each daily reading, as it will give you much more insight into what you are reading. 

As for how the study actually works: It is recommended that you do the SOAP method each day for the verses outlined for you in the reading plan.  Then, each week, try to post at least twice with your "SOAPS".  Type them out and put them up for others to read and comment on.  You may be all means post more than twice a week.  It would make it more interactive if you actually did post more often, but I don't want this to be overwhelming to any of you.  So post as much as works for you!  I will be writing a blog post once a week that God has shown me through our study.  So you can also read and comment on those as well at fishlicity.blogspot.com (I also have a link to this website on that blog on the right side of the page called "Online forum".   

Below are directions and examples of the SOAP method: 

This is the post from Love God Greatly explaining what the SOAP method is and how to do it:) 

So, what is S.O.A.P and how do you do it?   

S The S stands for Scripture- you physically write out the scripture……you’ll be amazed that what God will reveal to you just by taking the time to slow down and actually write out what you are reading! 

O– The O stands for observation- what do you see in the verses that you’re reading? Who is the audience? Is there a repetition of words? What words stand out to you? 

A– The A stands for Application- this is when God’s Word becomes personal. What is God saying to me today? How can I apply what I just read to my own personal life? What changes do I need to make? Is there an action that I need to take? 

P– And finally P stands for Prayer. Pray God’s Word back to Him. If He has revealed something to you during this time in His Word, pray about it. Confess if He has revealed some sin that is in your life. 

Studying God’s Word like this can take as little or as long as you have time to give. Some days it can take just 10 or 15 minutes, other days longer.  I use this method often combined with the Inductive Method that we will discuss more at a later date.  We will just start this study with the S.O.A.P. method and take it from there! 

Here is an example of a SOAP from Love God Greatly: 

Colossians 1:5-8

S– The faith and love that spring from the hope that is stored up for you in heaven and that you have already heard about in the word of truth, the gospel that has come to you. All over the world this gospel is bearing fruit and growing, just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and understood God’s grace in all its truth. You learned it from Epaphras, our dear fellow servant, who is a faithful minister of Christ on our behalf, and who also told us of your love in the Spirit. 

O– (Many times I just bullet my observations……what I’m seeing at first glance when looking at the verses) 
    When you combine faith and love, you get hope. 
    We have to remember that our hope is in heaven…….it is yet to come. 
    The gospel is the word of truth. 
    The gospel is continually bearing fruit and growing from the 1st day to the last. 
    It just takes one person to change a whole community…..Epaphras. 

A-Something that stood out to me today was how God used one man, Epaphras to change a whole town!!! I was reminded that we are simply called to tell others about Christ……it’s God’s job to spread the gospel….to grow it and have it bear fruit. I felt today’s verses were almost directly spoken to LGG…..“all over the world this gospel is bearing fruit and growing, just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and understood God’s grace in all its truth.” Isn’t it fun when God’s Word becomes so alive and speaks directly were we are at?!!!! My prayer today is that all the women involved in this Bible study will understand God’s grace and have a thirst for His Word. 

P– Dear Lord, please help me to be a “Epapras”…..to tell others about you and then leave the results in your loving hands. Please help me to understand and apply what I have read today to my life personally, thereby becoming more and more like you each and every day. Help me to live a life that bears the “fruit” of faith and love……anchoring my hope in heaven, not here on earth. Help me to remember that the BEST is yet to come! 

I am praying for each of you to have special encounters with God as you take this time to study and dig deeper into His Word!  Your time will not be wasted, I promise you! 

I am including a link to the Love God Greatly website for you to be able to download the study guide and the reading plan.  You can download them and print them out to keep in your Bible.  The dates are for the original starting date, but you can adjust them for our starting date.  Happy studying! 

http://www.lovegodgreatly.com/lgg/psalm-119/

Because of His Grace,
    Felicity

Elaine Engel

Re: S.O.A.P. Method

Post by Elaine Engel on Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:09 pm

Is anybody else having trouble downloading the reading schedule and study guide in English?

Elaine Engel

Post by Elaine Engel on Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:42 pm

Thanks I just copied and pasted the reading schedule you posted, sent it to my email so I could print it. For some reason when I went to LGG link I couldn't get the English version.

Thanks again

Elaine

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:47 pm